How to make Dal Makhani
Here are a few quick steps on how to make Dal Makhani and the ingredients for the recipe.
Recipe for Dal Makhani
1. Sabut Kali Urad Dal (Whole Black Peas) - One bowl approx 50-75 gms.
2. Rajma (Red Kidney Beans) - About 25-30 grams
3. Channa dal - About 25-30 grams
3. Dhaniya (Coriander) - 1 Tablespoon
4. Ginger pieces or paste
5. Finely cut garlic - Half Tablespoon
6. Fresh Cream - 4-5 Tablespoon
7. Finely cut tomato - Two bulbs
8. Finely cut onion - One bulb
10. Red chilly powder
11. Jeera (Cumin) seeds
12. Ghee or Oil
Steps to make Dal Makhani
1. Let the Urad, Rajam and Chana dal soak in water for about 8-10 hours. This is the first and the most crucial step in the preparation of the Dal Makhani. Soaking it for longer hours makes the lentils cook properly and makes them loose so that they provide a think consistency to the dal.
2. Once the dal mixture has been left to soak overnight, wash it properly in running water.
3. Take a vessel and let the dal mixture boil for 30 minutes at slow heat.
4. Once the dal mixture has has been properly boiled, drain excess water and turn off the gas.
5. In a separate vessel, heat 2-3 tablespoons of ghee (or oil). Once the oil has been heated properly, add 1/2 tablespoon of Jeera (Cumin) seeds and finely cut onion to it.
6. After a few minutes, once the onion has started to turn golden yellow, add the tomato and garlic & garlic paste to it the mix.
7. Once the the tadka has been prepared, add the boiled dal mixture to the it. On slow heat, let the mixture simmer for about half an hour.
8. Once the dal has achieved a strong consistency (the lentil pieces should not be easily separated from the stew), add the freshly prepared cream to it and mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve dal makhani hot.