How to make Dal Khichdi
Here are a few quick steps on how to make Dal Khichdi and the ingredients for the recipe. Dal khichdi can be prepared using toor dal, masoor dal or moong dal. In this recipe, we discuss the preparing dal khichdi with moong dal but feel free to use other lentil (dal) varieties as well.
Recipe for Dal Khichdi
1. Rice - 1 Cup
2. Yellow moong dal - 1/2 to 1 cup
4. Curry leaves
5. Turmeric powder - 1/2 Table spoon
6. Red chillies - 2-3 pieces
7. Garam masala - 1/2 Table spoon
8. Cumin (jeera) seeds
9. Salt to taste
10. Tomato - 2 pieces finely cut
Steps to make Dal Khichdi
1. Soak the dal and rice in a vessel for about 10 minutes and the rinse properly with water.
2. Put the dal and rice mixture in a pressure cooker rice with about 250-400 ml of water. Turn the gas to medium and add turmeric powder, curry leaves and salt. Cook for about 10 minutes.
3. Open the pressure cooker when the aroma indicates that the mixture has been properly cooked. If excess water remains in the cooker, boil the mix at medium heat for a few more minutes. By this time the dal khichdi mix should be soft and squish easily with a spoon. Turn off the gas.
4. In a separate flat bottom vessel, pour some ghee and let it melt.
5. Add a few cumin seeds, red chillies and finely cut onion to the mix and let them fry for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes after a little later.
6. Let the onion turn golden brown. At this point, the tadka is ready. Add the dal khichdi to the tadka and mix well.
7. Garnish with coriander and garam masala.
8. Serve dal khichdi hot and make your friends and family happy