How to make Dal Baati
Here are a few quick steps on how to make Dal Baati and the ingredients for the recipe.
Recipe for making the Dal for Dal Baati
1. Black (Urad) Dal - 2- 4 cups
2. Rajma - 2 Cups
3. Onions - 3- 4 pieces
4. Tomatoes - 2 -3 pieces
5. Garam Masala - 2 Table spoon
6. Chili Powder
7. Turmeric Powder
9. Fresh Cream
11. Coriander Leaves (Dhaniya)
Steps to make Dal for Dal Baati
1. Soak the Dal and Rajma overnight. Soaking them for a longer duration ensures that the lentils will cook properly and evenly.
2. Once the lentils (dal and rajma) have been soaked, drain the excess water. Now add some fresh water to a pressure cooker and after putting the dal rajma mix into it, cook for a few minutes. Once the mixture has become soft and you can feel the aroma being just right, turn off the gas.
3. In a separate vessel, add 2-3 table spoon of ghee or oil. Let it heat up for a few minutes. Add finely cut onions to the mix. Once the onions have become golden brown, add finely cut ginger (or ginger powder if you have that available) and the finely cut tomatoes to the mix. After a few minutes add the dal-rajma mix, salt and the masala. Let the mixture boil for a few minutes. Once the mixture has acquired a thick consistency add lots of freshly prepared cream (or ghee). Garnish with coriander (dhaiya) leaves.
Ingredients to make the Baati for Dal Baati
1. Whole wheat flour (Atta) - 5-6 cups
3. Curd - 2-3 Table spoon
5. Suji - 1 cup
8. Baking powder - 1/4 to 1/2 Table spoon
Steps to make the Baati for Dal Baati
1. In a large vessel, mix the flour (atta), ghee, salt, curd, ajwain, jeera, baking powder and water. Knead the mix till all the items have been completely mixed.
2. Make small (golf ball size) rolls from the mix. Keep them in a separate plate for 2 hours under a wet cloth
3. Now there are two way in which these baati can be cooked. You can either cook them in a tandoor or you can first boil them in water and then cook them using a tandoor or a microwave. If you prefer boiling them first, you can put all the baatis in boiling water for about 10-15 minutes and them put them into the tandoor or microwave. If you put them directly in to the tandoor, the baati’s will crack a bit (which is how they were cooked before microwaves came in to the picture)
4. Once the baati has been prepared, take a large vessel and fill it with melted ghee. One by one, put the baatis into the ghee and let them soak it for a few minutes.
5. Serve hot with dal.
Let us know how did you find this recipe for dal baati.