How to make Chocolate Cake
Recipe for a Chocolate Cake
1. Flour - 150 grams
2. Cocoa powder - 30 to 40 grams
3. Dark chocolate - 50 - 75 grams
4. Sugar - 150 grams
5. Fresh butter - 150 grams
6. Eggs - 3 to 4 pieces
7. Vanilla extract - 1 table spoon
8. Baking powder - 1 Table spoon
9. Sour Cream - 1/2 Cup
Steps to Make Chocolate Cake
1. The first in making a chocolate cake it to get some melted chocolate. The best way to do it to purchase some good quality low-sugar chocolate from the market and put into a vessel with boiling water.
2. Pour the butter, sugar and baking powder into the melted chocolate. Using a manual stirrer, mix the ingredients together. Try to get as much air into the mix as possible. The trapped air bubbles will provide much needed volume to the mix when we bake it a little later.
3. Once the mixture has become very soft and fluffy, add eggs whites, one at a time Gently break the eggs and pour them into a small vessel. Now pour the egg white in to the cake mix by holding a spoon against the egg yolk which prevents it from slipping out. Before you add the next egg white, ensure that the previous egg has been properly assimilated in the mix and that it has acquired proper consistency.
4. At this point, sift the flour and add it to the mix. Ensure that you mix as much flour to the mix as it can accommodate at this point. Then gently add the cream to the cake mixture. Ensure that you add only as much cream as will fully dissolve any remaining sugar and other ingredients and provide a smooth think consistency to the entire mix.
5. Pour the mix into the baking pan. Ensure that the oven used for baking has been pre-heated. Ideally you should switch on the oven a few minutes before you place the dough in it. The oven temperature at the time of our placing the dough in it should be around 175 deg Centigrade (or 350 deg Fahrenheit). Since the cake will expand, you would need to have the pan with walls a little higher than the height of the cake mixture.
6. It should take another 30 minutes for the cake to be fully baked. In that time, let’s move on to preparing the icing for the chocolate cake.
Ingredients for the Icing for making the Chocolate Cake
1. Butter - 100 grams
2. Dark chocolate - 200 grams
3. Icing Sugar - 250 grams
4. Sour Cream - 100 grams
Steps to Make chocolate Cake Icing
1. Melt the chocolate in the same way as we did for the chocolate cake. While the chocolate melts, mix the butter and the icing sugar together in a vessel. Once the chocolate has melted fully, add that and the sour cream to the mix. You can also use maple syrup or boiling water to losen up the icing mix, if required.
2. You have a number of options on how you would like to apply the icing to the cake. The first option is the apply it only on the top. The other is to gently cut the cake into two halves (along the surface of the able) and apply the icing in between the halves as well as the top. Take you pick !!!
3. Before you being the icing, ensure that the mix is soft enough to spread well but not too soft (otherwise you’ll end up with most of it dripping off onto the platter rather than on the cake).
4. You can now add chocolate chip cookies or simply garnish a chocolate bar onto the surface to decorate it. If you are not able to lay our hands on good quality chocolate chip cookies, you can simply peel off a few layers from a (cold) chocolate bar using a potato peeler. Add dry fruits if you love them - walnuts go extremely well with chocolate Refrigerate it and serve cold.
And there we are with our nice looking chocolate cake !